Welcome to Intro to Unity by Ready, the second easiest game design course you’ll ever take! Now that you’ve gotten a taste of game design using Ready, you’re Ready to 🚀 in Unity.
How do you get started? Follow the simple step-by-step video instructions led by Mark Suter, a high school computer science teacher, to build your own Space Chicken game using Unity3D - Used by the Pros !
Want to code in C# ? This course will help you get closer to achieving that goal by introducing you to light coding & code modifying using Ready variables and Unity modifying scripts. You’ll be on your ➡️ to becoming one of the Unity Pros 🤘!
Recommended Unity Versions
2017.1 - 2019.1
Intro to Unity by Ready Maker : Make your “Space Chicken” Game
Watch a preview of the “Space Chicken” game you’ll make
Get setup with a copy of Unity3D on your PC or Mac
- Adding the “Space Chicken” to the scene
- Add "Move With Arrows" script
- Add capsule collider + rigidbody (no gravity)
Configuring the player’s size and physical properties.
Add frame boxes
- Add side rectangles with Box colliders 2D
Put your chicken in outer space
- Add a moving background to create the illusion of flying through space
- BEHAVIOR - Scroll / flow 270, speed 1.2
Create looping animation
Creating obstacles for your chicken to avoid
Learn what Prefab assets are in Unity
- Make Asteroid Prefab
- Add "Auto Move" Script
- Add "Auto Rotate" Script
- Tag as "Enemy"
Become a Prefab master
Spawn power-ups to forge a mighty Space Chicken
- Add power-ups the chicken collects to fuel his mighty laser
- Animation Pane - keyframe left, middle, right
- Add Mark's "Spawner" script. Set 2 prefabs and delays (Asteroid + Save)
Create multiple objects by spawning in Unity.
Giving your computer a break
Reduce game memory to avoid game lagging
- Clean up extra clones : SC_Cleaner script
- Add box w/ collider at bottom
Creating Your User Interface
Learn the purpose of a User Interface
User Interface - Game start sequence
- Attach ChickenScript to SC
- Add EmptyObject "GameManager"
- Add GM script
- Add UI > Image (WelcomeCard), InstructionsCard, GameOverCard
- Add a UI > Text (ScoreText)
Game moments communicate to the player what’s happening by adding “cards” to your game
Detecting collisions with tags
Detect when your chicken collides with “tagged” objects
- Collisions using Tags
- New Tags (Check ChickenScript for names) Pickup and Enemy
Make your chicken react differently to “tagged” objects
Launching asteroid-destroying laser
Add a “laser object” the chicken can use
- Make Laser Prefab with AutoMove script
- Add Button Object (UI > button)
- Place on UI layer / size it 0.5 & Position it
Adding a “fire button” for the player to tap
Instruct the chicken to fire lasers upwards
Using a “mouse-down” command in to shoot
Adding special effects to your game
Giving an explosion effect to the asteroid, when hit by a laser
- Attach "AsteroidScript" to asteroid prefab
- Bring in a new "Small Explosion", add "Particle Stopper" script, make it a prefab called "Boom"., link to "AsteroidScript" Boom
- Adjust mass to 0.1. AutoMove to 8
Tag laser prefab as "Laser"
Intro to Particle System
Creating the “Boss”
Add the boss, a fox in a spaceship, to the scene (chickens hate foxes)
Give the boss a path to follow as he attacks
Using a “spline controller” in Unity to control the boss
- SplineRoot (Empty GameObject with 4 positioned Nodes)
- Create a figure 8 path
Give the boss a “life meter” to track his health
Giving your Chicken a Chance to fight back
Assigning the boss
Making the boss appear with a script
- Link Boss to SpaceChicken script in Inspector
Damaging the boss
Program the fox to take “damage” from the player
- Add Healthbar
- On Laser Collision:LittleBoom Effect and -hp
- Assign LittleBoom (laser collision) and BigBoom (Fox health <= 0)
The boss fights back
Make BossBomb prefab that moves and Tag BossBomb "Enemy"
- Add the boss’ bombs to the scene
- Link boss bomb to BossScript
- Create ChickenBoom, Link to ChickenScript
- Link HealthBarBackground to GameManagerScript
You Win! - Creating a Win Moment
Add a “You Win” card to your scene
Program the card to appear when the boss’ life count gets to 0
- Time Scale to 0 via script
Celebrate the win with a fireworks effect
Making it go BOOM!
Add sounds at the end, when everything is working
Match sounds to events, like launching lasers
Add a background music sound
Sounds to add:
Boss - bossHit,bossDestroyed
Button - Shoot
Chicken - playerHit, pickup
Asteroid - boomAsteroidSound
GameManager - bgMusic
Play your game!
Show it Off! : Want to share your game with your friends and family?
Extra Credit: Exporting your Space Chicken game as a desktop app & android app
In our first Ready for Unity course we showed you how to create a desktop app and an Android app of your Space Chicken game. Follow the same step-by-step instructions from our previous video tutorial to export your Unity Space Chicken project.
Export as an Android app
Upload the app to Google Drive
SHARE IT ! - Send the link to your friends, and let them install it on their phones.